Tuesday, February 19, 2008

I Need a Wife

As I enjoyed my 3 day weekend (and by enjoy, I mean I had an extended amount of time in which to complete household tasks and errands instead of the usual weekend crunch - just wanted to clarify lest you think I actually did anything recreational), I kept thinking to myself that if only I worked part-time, I would enjoy my life more. But that's not true - and upon further reflection, I realize that what I really believe is that if I had a true partner to split household tasks and errands, I would enjoy my life more. If only I had a wife.

My husband is an incredible partner. I have zero complaints. But he is, after all, my husband, a man. Which means he will never lose a minute's sleep over getting birthday cards mailed on time, or wonder almost daily if rearranging the living room will open it up. No, his worries are far different than mine. My husband fulfills every need of mine that requires a husband. What I need is a wife.

Actually, this has been an on-going joke with my business partners. As we toil through our mountains of to-do's and commiserate together, we dream wistfully that someday our org chart will have "Personal Assistant" (read: Wife) under each of our names.

Imagine my surprise and delight to find this article today. Dr. Nüsslein-Volhard just became my new favorite woman. I'll be following this throughout the year and imagining the day when this is available to women worldwide. In the meantime, I'm off to buy stamps.

No comments: